Jerome Haines (@jrome)
1/1/07 8:44 PM
Getting a jumpstart on Happy New Year cards for 2008. Addresses of relatives flooding in…
Done it all with an iPhone, but coulda shoulda woulda could even have done it all with a dumb old phone.
(see full image)
Plus, what ‘s the best thing to do in an earthquake ? Slate
A 5.8-magnitude earthquake struck Virginia on Tuesday, with shaking felt in Washington, D.C., New York City, and all the way to New England. Slate
Many people on the East Coast had quizzical looks on their faces as the ground lightly shook beneath them when a 5.8 magnitude earthquake struck Tuesday afternoon. Huffington Post Full Feed
In meetings in Tokyo and a visit to an area ravaged by the March earthquake and tsunami, Biden said that as an ally and friend, the United States would continue to do all it can in the nation ‘s time of need, because he knew ” you would do the same. LA Times Politics
3 economy slipped back into recession in the first quarter due to tumbling output and exports following the March 11 earthquake and tsunami. NPR World
” Several factors make it difficult for Japan to slow the growth of debt-to-GDP and thus drive this rating action, ” Moody ‘s said in a statement, adding that the March 11 earthquake and ensuing nuclear crisis had exacerbated Japan ‘s problems. Reuters Top News
Earthquakes and California go together. MSNBC Business
Hours after shock waves from an earthquake quivered Progressive Field ‘s upper deck, Shin-Soo Choo rocked the ballpark by himself. MSNBC Sports
An earthquake centered in Virginia briefly rattled Lamade Stadium but play never stopped. Boston Globe
And the top floor of my Maryland house — where I had been on the Internet, tracking the path of Hurricane Irene, to see if it was going to ruin my trip to Bethany Beach next week — was not the place to be during an earthquake. Washington Post Opinions
However, it was also hit by an earthquake and tsunami in March, and the rebuilding cost is weighing on growth and state finances. BBC Top Stories
The airline has also been hit hard by a string of natural disasters, namely the earthquakes in Japan and New Zealand, floods and cyclones in Queensland, and disruptions caused by a Chilean volcanic ash cloud. BBC Top Stories
Marzden and Jasper were at the playdough table. “I’m trying to make a fish,” Jasper explained with his forehead wrinkled with concentration. “Marzden, we have to find some fish for the dead dolphin.” “Here’s the fish!” replied Marzden. “Here are the eyes and here are the mouth.” “We have to save the dolphin in a little while,” Jasper decided with a thoughtful wrinkled chin and forehead nod.
Warren Buffett, in a recent interview with CNBC, offers one of the best quotes about the debt ceiling:
“I could end the deficit in 5 minutes,” he told CNBC. “You just pass a law that says that anytime there is a deficit of more than 3% of GDP, all sitting members of Congress are ineligible for re-election.
The 26th amendment (granting the right to vote for 18 year-olds) took only 3 months & 8 days to be ratified! Why? Simple! The people demanded it. That was in 1971… before computers, e-mail, cell phones, etc. Of the 27 amendments to the Constitution, seven (7) took 1 year or less to become the law of the land…all because of public pressure.
Warren Buffet is asking each addressee to forward this email to a minimum of twenty people on their address list; in turn ask each of those to do likewise. In three days, most people in The United States of America will have the message. This is one idea that really should be passed around.
*Congressional Reform Act of 2011*
1. No Tenure / No Pension. A Congressman collects a salary while in office and receives no
pay when they are out of office.
2. Congress (past, present & future) participates in Social Security. All funds in the Congressional retirement fund move to the Social Security system immediately. All future funds flow into the Social Security system, and Congress participates with the American people. It may not be used for any other purpose.
3. Congress can purchase their own retirement plan, just as all Americans do.
4. Congress will no longer vote themselves a pay raise. Congressional pay will rise by the lower of CPI or 3%.
5. Congress loses their current health care system and participates in the same health care system as the American people.
6. Congress must equally abide by all laws they impose on the American people.
7. All contracts with past and present Congressmen are void effective 1/1/12. The American people did not make this contract with Congressmen. Congressmen made all these contracts for themselves. Serving in Congress is an honor, not a career. The Founding Fathers envisioned citizen legislators, so ours should serve their term(s), then go home and back to work. If each person contacts a minimum of twenty people then it will only take three days for most people (in the U.S.) to receive the message. Maybe it is time.
THIS IS HOW YOU FIX CONGRESS
If you agree with the above, pass it on. If not, just delete. Please don’t reply to me. You are one of my 20+. Please keep it going.